Monday, September 5, 2011

You KNOW you're a homeschooler when...

you see this creature and it's web attached to the hose you are about to use and run into the house to tell the children to "Come, quick, there's something I want you to see!" despite the fact that it creeps you out!  (Yes, I know that's a run on sentence, lol)

Black and yellow argiope


The girls came outside to check out the spider in question and told me they had already seen it in my flower garden!  So, Emily decides to "google it" and figure out what kind of spider we were looking at.  It's an orb web spider called a black and yellow argiope   My first concern was to find out if it's poisonous or potentially harmful.  It's not!  In fact, it's a beneficial animal to have around since it eats pests in large quantity.  I love impromptu science lessons!

Now, if we can just get rid of the woodchuck living under our front stairs...anyone have a "have a heart" trap we could borrow to catch him?

1 comment:

  1. We saw lots of these last year at Doles Farm when we were picking berries. I think they were in the raspberry bushes. Very creepy looking!! I guess you need to look creepy when you're harmless; it's your only hope!! ;)

    ReplyDelete